Paul and I celebrated our 6th anniversary last weekend. There's not a whole lot you can do when you're 36 weeks pregnant and taking care of a two year old so we planned the ever popular dinner and a movie date. However, our plans fell through. We couldn't get a sitter and since Paul was off work we didn't want to reschedule. So we spent our anniversary with Liam. I have to admit, I wasn't very happy about it. How on earth were we going to make this day different from any other if we still had our "mommy and daddy" hats on? I'm pleased to say I was very wrong. I can't believe I still haven't learned that life is what you make it and, if you really wanted to, everyday could be special and memorable.
So we got up in the morning and went about our normal routine. Of course, since Paul was home, it was a bit more relaxed since there were 4 hands helping out instead of the regular 2 (with an aching back, pelvic pressure, heartburn, insomnia and the need to pee every 5 min). We exchanged gifts then the 3 of us went to lunch. We talked to Liam about what an anniversary is and found it very difficult. "Its like a birthday. It comes every year. It's the day mommy and daddy got married. It's been 6 years." I think he kind of got it but he was probably more excited about the chocolate pie Paul ordered for dessert.
We came home, put Liam down for a nap and got some alone time for a couple of hours. That was all we really wanted and cuddling while having an uninterrupted conversation was a thousand times better than seeing a movie. We exchanged some heartfelt cards over a pizza dinner then finished the evening playing with Liam and organizing Brygit's room. It was a perfect day for this transitional time in our lives. Our time as a threesome is quickly coming to a close so I loved that we included Liam in our special day. I also love that he was in a good mood and very well behaved all day. I can't imagine a more perfect way to spend our anniversary... Unless, of course, I wasn't pregnant and we were laying on the beach somewhere exotic. But then I'd probably be worried about my babies. I'll take my day with my two favorite boys.
Sounds lie a great way to spend your anniversary. Happy 6th.
ReplyDelete