Our Fourth of July was... bumpy. But salvaged. Not the best Independence Day but there were some high points and we made some memories as a family. We started our day out a bit sleep deprived and grumpy (and not just the kids) from Liam getting out of bed several times the night before to ask if it was the Fourth of July yet. In hindsight I probably could've predicted that he wasn't feeling very well because (spoiler alert) the day ended with vomit.
Despite our bad attitudes and trying morning, we actually all really enjoyed participating in the Redlands Fourth of July parade with our MOMS Club. The theme was "The Good Old Days" so our group dressed as women from the past- humble housewives and Rosie the Riveters. The kids dressed in red, white and blue and decorated their bikes and wagons to look patriotic. The kids loved it. As soon as the parade started they turned on the charm and started waving to everyone and shouting, "Happy Fourth of July!" Liam kept talking about how much fun he was having and how he wanted to do it again next year. Obviously, my kids are hams and enjoy a little spotlight.
The parade really turned the day around for us and everything was going great. Paul left for work which was a bummer but I was holding my own with the kids and we headed over to Paul's aunt's house where we usually spend our holiday with a barbecue and swimming. The kids were having a great time playing with their cousins but my motherly suspicion started creeping in when Liam refused to eat anything other than chips. Before I knew it he was sick and we were leaving.
I attempted to salvage our evening by searching our house for some old fireworks we bought a couple of years ago that I swear we found when we moved. No luck. So I tried searching for some patriotic TV. No luck. So I settled for keeping the kids up way past their bed time, watching The Croods, to catch the fireworks from our balcony. It was way too quiet around 9pm so I put the kids in the car in their pajamas and found a good place to park down the street where we could watch the firework show that the mega church around the corner was hosting. It did not disappoint and actually ended up being one of the best firework shows I've seen (Disneyland not included). I was surprised that Liam STILL gets nervous about fireworks and, though he enjoyed watching them (the "shooting star" ones were his favorite) he thought they were too loud. Brygit, on the other hand was naming all the colors she saw and smiling and saying "wow" over and over again, which was unexpected as this was her first time seeing fireworks like that. The kids fell asleep in the car on the roundabout way I had to take back to the house and they slept until 6am when I was awoken with more of Liam leaning over the toilet. I call it a success.
No comments:
Post a Comment