I had been up all night with the exception of about 3 separate hours. Brygit was recovering from a cold, mine had just started and Liam was hacking in his medicated sleep. Brygit had started pulling at her ear a couple of hours before bed the night before so I knew what was up. It just happened to be Sunday, St. Patrick's Day. I had to go to urgent care with both kids to get antibiotics for Brygit's ear infection. I checked in, Liam wrote Brygit's fever on the self check in kiosk (not sure what that means), the kids touched the fish tanks that every other sick kid has presumably licked, then Liam walked around the waiting room barefoot while I urged him to put his sandals back on. We were called in and the real waiting began in a room the size of my closet. The kids rolled all over every surface, Brygit cried for the jar of tongue depressors, attempted to unplug the computer and Liam walked around barefoot while I urged him to put his sandals back on.
The doctor was great, we got a prescription then we headed to the pharmacy. While we waited for it to be filled, Brygit took multiple boxes of cough syrup off the shelf and tried to open them with her teeth, Liam tried to run between my legs while I was bent over effectively head butting my butt, and he ran around barefoot while I urged him to put his sandals back on. We got the prescription and I waited for the pharmacist to come by and read the label on the bottle to me like a kindergarten teacher. "It says once a day. So just one time. Half a teaspoon which is this mark right here. It says to shake well in case you don't see the bright red tag that says shake well and has a drawing of a bottle being shaken." I headed to Target next since the hospital pharmacy was out of the probiotic the doctor told me to give Brygit to prevent her from spewing diarrhea from the antibiotic. Am I getting too graphic here? I apologize. I got in and out with little fuss, handed the cashier the package of big girl Rapunzel underwear that Brygit was clinging to for dear life and urged Liam to keep his sandals on his feet. We picked up our pizza lunch/ dinner an hour after it had been prepared and a half hour after the pizza place called to make sure I was still alive. Brygit took her 40 minute nap for the day and then I walked the kids to the park to get their wiggles out. Brygit enjoyed covering herself in wood chips while Liam climbed like a monkey and I urged him to keep his sandals on his feet. But then Liam fell about 5 feet onto his butt, cried really, really hard then complained for a half hour that his back hurt and he couldn't run. It scared me to death and it must have been my breaking point because that evening when our family bath was suddenly interrupted by Brygit's bowel movement I laughed hysterically. Maybe it was because she stood up, bent her knees a bit then smiled and pointed at the water that was slowly turning green. I jumped out, retrieved my children and cleaned everything and everyone up only to find my naked children feeding each other cough drops. Liam's back is totally fine by the way. We ended the day with a tea party, FaceTime with my in-laws and way too many bedtime stories that Liam picked out and I read only the first line of each page while still making the story sound cohesive. What can I say? This is the life.


No comments:
Post a Comment