Monday, May 19, 2014

Handprints

Throughout the week of Mother's Day I displayed the cards I received and the cute crafts the kids made on our mantle above the fireplace. I realized by the end of the week that I had collected a bunch of handprints from my children. I remember making a calendar in elementary school for my mom one Christmas. I wrapped it myself and waited until Christmas before spilling the beans. It had my handprints on it and I remember her crying when she opened it. I was confused by her reaction at the time. I thought maybe she didn't like it. I understand now. There is something precious about receiving a piece of paper that shows your child's growing hands. They won't always be so tiny or as meticulously painted. Next year they will be a bit more able and a lot larger. I may not have mentioned this in my Mother's Day post but I am so thankful for those little hands that belong to those little people. I'm thankful for their health, their company, their personalities no matter how big and for the opportunity to be called their "mama."


No comments:

Post a Comment