Monday, August 14, 2023

Finnlay's Birth (by mom)

 If I had to pick just one moment in the last few years that needed a dedicated blog post, Finnlay's birth would win by a long shot. There are quite a few events since I last maintained this blog regularly that have changed our lives but his birth is definitely at the top of that list. 

Finn became a desire of our family about five years before he was born. Paul and I saw how quickly our first two children were growing and we wanted to do it all over again with a new addition. Liam and Brygit (Brygit especially) also started talking about wanting a baby sibling. For some reason, it just wasn't time for him to make his appearance. A couple of doctor trips confirmed that everything was in working order health wise but I still did not become pregnant for several years. In January 2020, five months after beginning our homeschool journey and two months before the whole world fell apart, I found out I was pregnant.

I was sick for the first half (and in lock down) but we somehow made it to Finn's due date of September 10th. I had Braxton Hicks contractions for several weeks and by the time his due date came along, I was beyond ready. The day before his due date, I called my mom to come stay with us because my contractions were getting closer together and a bit more intense. I didn't think I would make it through the night at home. Of course, I woke up in the morning after all contractions ceased in the night feeling like I was going to be the first person in history to remain pregnant forever. I went on a walk with Paul and complained to him about my never ending pregnancy when quite suddenly my water broke. It was almost one of those water breaking movie moments where I was pretty soaked by the time I got home. Luckily my mom was still at my house to stay with the kids. Paul and I left to the hospital around 10am and Finn made his appearance just before 6:30 that evening. 

I'll be honest and say this journey hasn't been an easy one. This story took place almost three years ago and it has costed me a lot of sleepless nights, frustration, self-sacrifice, self-doubt, and more energy and patience than I ever thought God could possibly supply me with. But the moment I met Finnlay is one of the happiest of my life. And the moment I introduced him to Liam and Brygit is at the top of my list too. He has been the best addition to our family. He is so adorable, sweet, funny, and smart. His siblings are his favorite people, next to his mama of course. He has brought out the youth in all of us and showed us how much we can love another human. A lesson in God's timing has also been very prevalent these days as we see many reasons why we spent those years as a family of four. But now that we are a family of five, I can't imagine it any other way.









No comments:

Post a Comment