We recently watched Hook with Liam. Do you remember that movie? Where Robin Williams plays Peter Pan all grown up? Paul and I both loved it as kids. Anyway, watching it as a parent was way different. First off, it's kind of lame. Really, don't watch it as an adult because it will ruin your good memories. Second, it's kind of sad. There is a quote by Peter's wife that literally got me misty eyed. She said, "Your children love you, they want to play with you. How long do you think that lasts? Soon Jack may not even want you to come to his games. We have a few special years with our children, when they're the ones that want us around. After that you're going to be running after them for a bit of attention. It's so fast Peter. It's a few years, and it's over. And you are not being careful. And you are missing it." Oh Lordy it makes me sad just thinking about how fast time is going. Sometimes, I have the hardest time with my children demanding so much of me. Like when they are obviously in competition for my attention. Liam will be talking non stop very loudly and trying to show me something by sticking it in my face while repeating, "Look at this! Look at this! Look, Mommy! Are you looking?" Meanwhile Brygit is perfecting the most annoying whine she can manage while climbing on top of me. I am seated on the floor in this scenario/ daily reality ready and willing to give them time and attention but, occasionally, it's just not enough. They each want 110 percent of me and I just don't have 220 percent to give. I become exhausted and am often encouraged by the fact that it won't be like this forever. And then I think about how cruel life is to make my kids grow up and stop competing for my attention or crawling in my lap or shoving toys under my nose. How sad that one day they will stop following me into the bathroom or playing peek a boo with the shower curtain while I try to shower or stealing my food at every meal even though they each have their own or waking up in the middle of the night to be held or nursed or crying in the car because I'm not holding them. I mean, Thank God. But, how sad.

No comments:
Post a Comment