Thursday, July 20, 2023

A Quote

 

This is a picture from one of my mom's old posts in April 2011. I had just got my fourth haircut (my dad buzzed it, and it was the shortest haircut I had got). We went to a park, and for the first time, I wanted to go on the big boy swing. Therefore, my mom named the post "Big Boy haircut and Big Boy swing". In the blog she writes about how sad and proud she feels about me growing so fast. A few days ago, when I read the post there was a line mom wrote that got me thinking. Let me quote her, "He's growing up so fast and it's so bittersweet. Life gets better in so many ways the older he gets but it still feels a little sad to know that one day very soon he won't want me to hold him and kiss his boo boos. Then he will think I'm dumb and he'll be embarrassed to be seen in public with me. And don't tell me it won't happen because I was a kid once and I remember it clear as day. In the meantime, I'm doing my best to enjoy every moment and to build as strong of a bond between us as possible. Afterall, it's not like he asked me drop him off at the movies. He just got a haircut and learned to swing."

Let me just say something right here: I'm a mamma's boy, I always was, and I always will be. Teenagers are always portrayed as super rebellious and parent-hating. And, if I can be honest, a lot of teens are like that. But I am not like that. I'm not super innocent though, back when I was in public school, I probably thought my mom was dumb and embarrassing towards fourth grade. But now that I'm homeschooled, I look at my past self and all I see is irrational silliness. One of the ten commandments says to respect and love your parents and that's what I plan to do. There is absolutely nothing embarrassing about my parents. And I feel sad that my mother had to think I was going to turn out like that, and I also feel proud that I turned out differently. I have matured in many ways over the past few years, and grown out of many things, but I will never grow out of loving my parents.



No comments:

Post a Comment