Thursday, September 19, 2013

Creepy crawly



 
Liam has a new interest. Bugs and reptiles! One thing you should know about me is I hate bugs and reptiles. One day we were at our local library which has snakes and bugs and other animals (I know, our library rules) and an employee was busy cleaning the cages. He reached in and pulled out a tarantula for Liam to take a closer look. My first reaction was to run to the parking lot, jump in my car and drive away never looking back but I tried to keep it together for Liam. It would be awesome if my children didn't share my fear/ disgust. Unfortunately, he picked up on some of it and, though he was pretty impressed with the hairy little monster, he refused the opportunity to touch it. Luckily, the very next day he got an opportunity again. No joke. I feel like my life is full of these disgusting critters. We attended a birthday party with a reptile/ bug theme and they had a reptile man who brought all kinds of lizards and snakes and, yes, a tarantula. Liam was in heaven and I was super surprised that he was being as brave as he was. It started with touching the tarantula and turned into holding a bearded dragon and sharing the load of a ginormous snake with about 10 other kids. It was wild. The very next day (again, I'm not kidding) we ran into a huge 6 foot snake at the park behind our house. I freaked at first because I thought he was just roaming the neighborhood but then I realized he had an owner who just brings him to the park every now and then for a nice slither through the grass. The owner was very accommodating of Liam's curiosity and he let him touch the snake and answered all of his questions. He was a very... interesting man who apparently only wears board shorts with nothing else (we have seen him once more since then) and who is apparently into ultimate fighting and has been in one too many fights and who OWNS A SIX FOOT SNAKE!!!! As a pet!!! As we walked away he told Liam, "Now you know what to ask for for Christmas." I shuddered and shook my head and felt relieved when Liam asked, "What did he say?" "Oh nothing."

 




We came across this tail-less lizard at the park the other day and Liam tried to convince me to bring it home as a pet. Yeah, no thanks. Poor guy cried the whole way home while driving his power wheel.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment