Thursday, September 18, 2014

Hutch Project

 
 
I have been feeling the need want for a hutch/ buffet in recent days. I had lowered my expectations a bit and planned on just purchasing a cabinet from ikea but then Paul spotted a hutch at our neigbor's yard sale and I snatched it up. I went Pinterest crazy reading a ton of DIY posts about painting furniture and I decided I would use Annie Sloan chalk paint along with Annie Sloan clear soft wax. It costs a lot more than latex paint but it completely bypasses the need to strip, sand and prime and it goes a lot further as well.
 
 
The only prep work I had to do was tear out those weird little rails from the middle shelves. I looked it up online but, for the life of me, I don't know why they were there. We also decided to try out the hutch sans glass cabinets so I filled all the holes with wood filler and Paul sanded them down for me.
 
 
 After that I just cleaned the furniture and started to paint it. The first coat gave the hutch a definite "rustic" look. I get why this type of paint is so popular since "shabby chic" is what's in but it doesn't quite fit in my home and I wasn't planning on doing any distressing so I painted a second coat.
 
 
I was so surprised at how well it covered. I had to do a little taping since I painted the back panel teal and taking the back off wasn't going to be easy.
 
 
 
I then waxed the whole thing with two thin coats and I was amazed at how easy it was. I still want to do another coat or two of wax to make sure it's sealed (and defended against my wonderful children).
 
 
 For now here is the finished product! I think I'm in love and I am on the hunt for another yard sale find.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment