Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Generosity

I was having a bumpy morning. Most likely because it started at 4am... again. I was counting on a gingerbread latte to turn things around but as I went to pay, I realized I left my wallet at home. I grumpily sat down in the children's section of the bookstore to listen to a story about an elf as Liam started crying about missing out on his anticipated chocolate beverage. I started talking to him through gritted teeth in a threatening whisper. You moms know the kind. I was getting close to the end of my rope. The author/ reader of the story thought that Liam was afraid of the puppet elf she brought but I immediately informed her (and everyone else there) that it was not the puppet upsetting him. It was the 5am wake up time that he has been practicing for the last week and that I have been sufferring from (along with Brygit's 4am feeding). The woman then decided it would be best to just start the story and not ask any more questions. Just then I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned to see a woman standing there holding two drinks. She said they came from a customer in the cafe and I was so shocked at their generosity. And I was relieved to have caffeine. But, above all, I was so embarrassed. Talk about an attitude check. I was acting like such a brat and this person was feeling generous and thoughtful toward me. Maybe they saw me and thought, "That lady needs some coffee." But most likely they were just being nice in the old fashioned sense.
I tried to explain to Liam how generous it was for someone who doesn't even know us to spend money on us especially at this time of year. It was kind of lost on him but I realized I wanted to add this to my bucket list as a mother. I want to teach my children how to be spontaneously and anonymously generous. Not just with coffee but as a way of life. And I'm taking a lesson myself. That person could have saved Liam's life today. You never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment