Saturday, March 1, 2014

Kindergarten

 
 
Kindergarten registration is here. If you followed my posts last summer then you know I fretted over Liam starting preschool and attending 2 days a week for 3 hours at a time. I was worried he wouldn't go for being dropped off and left there so I chose a school for him that had loving teachers and lots of fun. He has loved it all year and I'm totally caught off guard by the fact that he only has 3 and a half months left before summer. Then it's off to public school 5 days a week. There's so much that worries me about that. I'm worried we haven't prepared him enough academically, I'm worried about the other kids he will meet and what kind of bad habits he may pick up from them, and I'm mostly worried that he won't be as loved or taken care of when class sizes are so large. Plus, every day?! So... no more spontaneous Disneyland trips? Or play dates? Or library trips? Life is about to change, that's for sure. We have weighed other options and, for now, this is the direction we are going to try. But not without some stressed out, sleepless nights. 

But I recently read a devotional that talked about worrying over the future. It said that I need to trust in God's "faithfulness to walk by your side and navigate your heart through the valleys of life." This was directed at the reader but I realized I have a hard time trusting God to walk by Liam's side and navigate him through his life's valleys. I don't want his life to have valleys at all and when hard times do come his way I want to be there with him to fight his battles for him. It's easy to trust God with my own life but my kids? That's a tough one. But, letting go and praying and trusting more has helped to reassure me that Liam will be just fine. I will do what I can to help him, obviously, but I need to trust that God is holding Liam when I can't. Staying up at night worrying won't change anything, but I know that prayer will.
 
By the way, the above picture was taken this week when Liam finally got his wish to attend "lunch bunch" after school. I packed him his very first lunch and then snapped a picture to commemorate right as he walked in the kitchen and asked, "Why are you taking a picture of my lunch?" He must think I'm nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment