Thursday, February 24, 2011

Birds




Today Liam and I had a play date at Hesperia Lake Park to feed the ducks and play on the playground. I had never been there before but I was looking forward to it because Liam absolutely loves feeding ducks. We spend a good part of our trips to Disneyland feeding the ducks. So I show up today, whole loaf of bread in tow, and I realize that I'm the only one who showed up for the play date. Not a problem. Liam was having a good time and we had the whole park to ourselves. Then we took the bread out. Two ducks came right up to us! Then four, then ten, then hundreds! I swear I'm not exaggerating. Okay, maybe like one hundred. Then the geese came. Oh. My. Lord! They were bigger than Liam and they were honking loudly in our faces and were trying to grab our food out of our hands. I end up standing on top of our picnic table holding Liam as he throws bread by the slice at these very loud, very pushy creatures. He was holding on tight trying not to cry and I was doing the same. Then it occurred to me. Stop feeding them! So we did and they got angry and were trying to figure out a way to hoist their floppy feet and fat bellies up onto the table. They were going to murder me and eat my baby. Okay, now I'm exaggerating. But it did cross my mind to call 911 since there was no one there to hear me scream if things got any uglier. I called Paul and he said I was fine and to just make loud noises but they had lost interest and moved on by that point. The one hundred ducks all laid down and turned their heads around to take a nap by our table in case we decided to feel generous again but the geese were gone. Whew! I picked up the bag of bread to put it back in Liams backpack when they decided to come back. I started stomping on the table and yelling at them and shooing and they didn't even flinch. Seriously this should have been caught on tape. They eventually lost interest again and I ran as fast as I could to the car and we made it home safely. I don't think I will ever go back. Well, at least not by myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment