Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tantrums


Liam turned 18 months on Sunday so we have been busy with the festivities of it all. He had his checkup on Monday (never fun) and he has pictures next week and, oh yeah, he has decided to enter his terrible/ terrific twos. I've never seen such an adorable person throw such an ugly tantrum. I have to be honest and say that it scares me to death! I'm shaking in my boots over here. The hardest part about having a baby with colic was that he was upset and there was almost nothing I could do to make him feel better. I feel like we're heading there again. Of course, it's not as bad as before because this time I know what's wrong. He's mad. Really, really mad. And it's my job to make sure he knows that he can't have every little thing he wants as fast as he wants it. But it's hard. I don't want him to be upset. I hate seeing him cry and I hate that he's not as easily distracted and that he doesn't respond to my attempts to make him feel better.

Paul and I finally had our sushi date yesterday and we discussed it so I don't feel as dreadful as I did. Sometimes you just need that. It's like a huddle where you get to take a breath, wipe your sweat off and discuss your next play before you run back into the game. We discussed how it's normal at this age, how he's doing it because he doesn't know how else to express himself and how he will outgrow it as he matures and as we learn just like every other developmental stage. Still, I'm not looking forward to it and I'm dreading the day it happens in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment