Every now and then I hear I great idea or a cute story that I want to remember to do with my children someday. It's like a bucket list I have going in my mind of things to do before my children grow up. I heard one of these ideas the other day and I'm blogging about it in hopes that I remember it. Maybe this will become a blogging series for me. Who knows.
Anyway, I overheard a mother and her two children talking on the shuttle bus as we were leaving Disneyland the other day. They were talking about how the mom woke the kids up that morning and got them ready for school like any other day but instead of going to school, she surprised them with a trip to Disneyland. They were ecstatic needless to say and I found myself admiring that mom for being so completely awesome! I must remember to do that when my kids are older.
It actually got me thinking (yet again) about the kind of mom I want to be and about the kind of childhood memories I want my kids to have. It's difficult sometimes to be a disciplinarian who is responsible for making sure her kids don't turn out like complete jerks while simultaneously being the person they trust most in the world, the person they run to for comfort AND a person they have fun with. I've only been at this for almost two and a half years but I think I'm doing a pretty good job so far. But I know I've only reached the tip of the iceberg.
I want my kids to have memories like the one this mom gave her kids. A memory where their mom did something unexpected just to make them smile. A whole day where she put all responsibilities aside and let loose. I want my kids to see that part of me. It's a must-have on my bucket list.

No comments:
Post a Comment